For the first time since mid-March The Little is hosting an event at 240 East Avenue. Little in the Lot — an outdoor dining experience in The Little’s Winthrop Street parking lot — debuts 7 p.m. Friday, August 14. The inclement weather date is Saturday, August 15.
Due to limited space, there are only 35 tickets available. Tickets are $35 each, and go on sale at shopthelittle.org at 12 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 1. (EDIT: Tickets are SOLD OUT)
Along with an outdoor bar, concessions, and food from The Little Cafe — served to tables physically distanced across The Little’s lot — there will be live entertainment. Specifically, music will be provided by The Prestons, a father-daughter duo, followed by a charming indie film, Hearts Beat Loud, about a father-daughter band (“families who rock” is always a winning theme).
Masks are required at Little in the Lot. For the safety of our audience, performers, and staff, no one will be admitted without a mask. Full safety guidelines below.
Each ticket includes: chips & pico de gallo (for the table), choice of entrée, choice of side dish, and a fountain drink. Food items must be selected at time of purchase. An outdoor bar and concessions will also be available for additional purchase throughout the evening.
7 p.m.: Food service begins / Music - The Prestons
8 p.m.: Intermission
8:20 p.m.: Movie - Hearts Beat Loud (presented with Open Captions)
10 p.m.: Event end
About The Prestons
The Prestons are Dave and Katie Preston, a father/daughter songwriting duo.
Dave Preston is known in the Rochester Area as Mr. Dave. He’s been entertaining the pre-school set for several years, visiting child care centers with his friend and puppeteer, Bev Compertore. Some of his songs, like “The Boo Boo Dance,” “The Munchkin Express,” “Howard” and “I Don’t Like Snakes” have been known to bring about extreme cases of the giggles among kids and grownups alike. Dave also has experience writing songs, playing both solo and in bands, as well as singing in a Barbershop Quartet.
Katie Preston has made a name for herself in the Rochester music scene as well. She was in the group Pleistocene, a popular punk band, and she is also known as an accomplished solo artist who performs a multitude of styles ranging from jazz to classic rock.
About Hearts Beat Loud (Open Captions)
Hoping to stay connected through their shared musical passions, Red Hook record store owner Frank (Nick Offerman) urges his teenage daughter Sam (Kiersey Clemons) to turn their weekly "jam sesh" into a father-daughter live act. After their first song becomes an Internet breakout, the two embark on a journey of love, growing up and musical discovery. Ted Danson, Sasha Lane, and Toni Collette also star.
- Tuscan Chicken Panini : roasted chicken breast, basil pesto, provolone cheese, onions and roasted red peppers on a Martusciello's roll
- Reuben Panini : corned beef, sauerkraut, Swiss cheese, and thousand island dressing on a Martusciello's roll with caraway seeds
- Vegan Summer Rolls : four summer rolls with rice noodles, cabbage, carrot, cucumber, Thai basil, cilantro and marinated tofu, wrapped in rice paper and served with peanut dipping sauce. *vegan and gluten free*
- Greek Pasta Salad : pasta with feta cheese, cucumbers, peppers, onions, tomatoes, and Kalamata olives
- Quinoa Salad : quinoa with cucumbers, roasted red peppers, onions, tomatoes, lemon, and herbs. *vegan and gluten free*
Beverages include Lemonade, bottled water, and soda
Tickets are purchased in advance (no walk-ups) and must be purchased by the table (tables will have one to four people each). Select your food & drink reservation for each person at your table, and add to your cart. To maintain physical distancing, tables/seats/reservations will not be combined. Tickets are available at shopthelittle.org.
Upon arrival the day of the event, please check in at the Little 2-5 parking lot entrance on Winthrop Street.
In the event of inclement weather (rain, high wind, etc.), The Little will email the address used to purchase the ticket(s) by 3 p.m. day-of the event with a cancellation notice. The rain date for this event Is Saturday, August 15 at 7 p.m.
Parking and Accessibility
- Parking is available in the former Hart’s parking lot (10 Winthrop Street) next door to The Little, or along Winthrop Street.
- Both the Hart’s parking lot (for parking), and The Little’s parking lot (for this outdoor event), are wheelchair accessible, with accessible parking spaces, and ramped walkways.
- Hearts Beat Loud will be presented with English captions
Covid-19 Safety Guidelines
The Little Theatre and Cafe are committed to providing a safe, comfortable, and enjoyable experience. For the safety of staff and guests, please note the following guidelines for attending a "Little in the Lot" event:
- Masks will be required AT ALL TIMES, except when eating or drinking at the purchased reserved table.
- Please do NOT remove your mask to eat or drink when standing or walking. Kindly wait until you are back at your table.
- Please wear a mask fully covering your nose and mouth when arriving at this event, when a Little staff member approaches your table with your food, and when you approach the outdoor Bar/Concessions.
- Do NOT pull down your mask to talk to Little Staff
- Tables are physically-distanced throughout the parking lot. You will only be seated with whomever you bought a ticket with (or solo). Kindly respect the space of others around you and maintain a six-foot distance from any other audience members at all times.
- Bathrooms will be available inside the Little 2-5 building. Please maintain physical distancing when visiting the bathrooms, and wash your hands thoroughly.
Additional steps The Little is taking to promote community safety:
- We have expanded our hands-free capabilities with touch-less soap and sanitizer dispensers, foot pulls on bathroom doors and lidless trash receptacles to limit points on contact around the facility.
- All of our staff will be wearing masks at all times and those in food preparation will be wearing gloves.
- All surfaces, including tables, chairs, counters, handles, registers and all kitchen and bathroom surfaces are disinfected regularly: before, during and after business/event hours.
Future Little in the lot announcements will be made at thelittle.org.